Thursday, November 4, 2010

Autumn Means Apples

Costco sells big things
It sells things that are big.
It sells big packages of things.
It sells a lot of things in one package.
And sometimes it sells a lot of BIG things in ONE big package.
Like these apples:

They may not look very big, but when you see them with my daughter.... before I peeled them

Either she is the size of a 3 month old or the apples are huge... so trust me: these apples are costco big.


I filled TWO pots cutting up just 6 of these babies. That's with cutting out some major bruises on two of them - the downside to bagging 10lbs of giant apples of the soft mac variety. Silly Costco. No Costco, I take it back.. I love you.

Waiting a few minutes with my daughter, looking at our leaf covered hill, while the apples cooked. And perhaps went a little brown from oxygen, but Anna did not care. She is my fake picky eater. She would probably balk at it if I wanted her to eat it, but darn it - this was homemade applesauce, if she didnt' like it - I would eat. it. all!
And... Charlie didn't want anything to do with it. What's with that? He eats everything?


But Anna, she gave it her seal of approval. Even the monkey wanted some, clearly.

And then the big kids walked in the door from school and were led by their noses into the kitchen. Even 6 giant Macs of applesauce did not last long enough. I think next time I will make a crock pot full.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm. You know, Costco is just around the corner from my new place. You can shop, then come see me for a tea!!!

    And yes, I'm sure I will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... homemade applesauce is the best. Especially when the apples are FREE! ;P

    I can't remember how many liters I canned this year... definitely more than twenty. We made apple butter, too. Kids love it.

    And, by the way, those are some HUGE apples!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love applesauce... especially homemade applesauce.

    I'd give it the seal of approval, too! :)

    ReplyDelete